Family gatherings are a thing of rare beauty, especially in this time when the world is becoming antisocial. And when you have your family and friends over, you’d want to dazzle them in every way possible. When it’s a barbecue set-up, you have the obligation to dazzle them with your grilling prowess. This can only happen when you have the right recipes, can put them to practice, and you know your way around a grill. Finding the right recipes isn’t as hard as you may think.
If you have been having the same barbecue, a change should be in order for the next family gathering you host. And there are few recipes that you need to try out, sample between the four below for a better experience.
Southwestern Cinnamon Steak Rub
It takes around 26 minutes to both prepare and cook. There aren’t as many ingredients when you prepare this as you may think. You have around nine to play around with.
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (has to be brown)
- ½ teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon Cumin seed
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Cayenne Red Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Oregano Leaves
- ½ sea salt grinder
- 1 ½ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 2 pounds Strip steaks
- Toast cumin seeds in a dry skillet for 1 – 2 minutes on medium heat until aromatic. Crush seeds using a coffee grinder or mortar and pestle.
- Mix all the remaining spices with brown sugar together with the cumin.
- Rub the mixture evenly on both sides of your steak and refrigerate for around 15 minutes.
- Grill over medium heat for 6 – 8 minutes
Cinnamon Smoked Ribeye
It takes around 20 minutes for this dish to get from ingredients to plates. Here are the ingredients used to prepare this cinnamon smoked ribeye steak recipe. Let’s dive in!
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 4 Angus Ribeye Steaks
- 1 cup Brewed Organic Dark Roast Coffee
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Coarse Ground Salt
- 2 teaspoons minced Garlic
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Tenderize the Ribeye with a thick-prong fork
- Apply each steak with cinnamon evenly, then cover with brewed coffee
- Set the steak aside at room temperature – don’t refrigerate.
- Toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic and cook on medium heat on a large sauté pan for 2 min
- Remove from the heat and place in the oven for 8-10 min
Dukkah-Spiced BBQ Chicken Wings
With the Dukkah-spiced wings, you have a chance to introduce your family to a new form of crispy wings they’ll love. It will take at least 45 minutes to have people munching on these wings.
- 25 chicken wings
- 50 grams Sesame Seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- Juice 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tahini spice
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Make dukkah by toasting sesame seeds in a frying pan until golden then transfer to a bowl
- Toast cumin and coriander seeds until fragrant
- Combine the two spices in a grinder or mortar to a coarse mix
- Mix lemon juice, tahini spice, and olive oil then rub all over chicken wings
- Let the wings marinate for around 1 hour in the fridge
- Heat your oven to around 200c/180c. For the grill wait till the coal has a layer of white ash
- Barbecue the wings for 25 minutes while turning.
- Transfer the wings to a bowl then sprinkle the dukkah and coriander leaves
- You can serve with lemon wedges.
Barbacoa Marinated Lamb Cutlets
This is a traditional Mexican dish that you can prepare in well under 30 minutes. After you have marinated for 12 hours.
- 2 dried ancho chilies
- 1 dried chipotle chili
- 6 garlic cloves
- Micro herbs – for deco
- ½ onion
- 100 ml olive oil
- 8 lamb cutlets
- 12 hours before, remove seeds and stem from the ancho and chipotle chilies. Fry the skin-side down in medium heat turning until softened – don’t burn.
- Cook garlic in the same pan on medium heat, together with the onions until black all over.
- Blend after it has cooled together with the chilies, olive oil, and a pinch of salt.
- Rub the lamb cutlets with the marinade and keep it overnight, at least 12 hours refrigerated.
- Remove from the fridge at least an hour before cooking
- Heat the frying pan on medium heat and cook the lamb cutlets till the fat turns brown – 7 minutes.
- The other side should cook for around 5 minutes.
There are plenty of recipes you can try for your family gathering. Here are a few that you can look to start with.