Proper lighting has a way of lifting the mood and giving life to the illuminated area. It changes the atmosphere, adds drama and style to the room when strategically placed. Most houses and offices just rely on the ceiling light to do all the work while ignoring the other lighting sources. It is time for you to explore the benefits of good lighting. We hope this article teaches you all you need to know about it.
Why Is Lighting So Important In The Home And Office?
The importance of proper lighting cannot be overemphasized because of the wonders it does to the room. Light is essential and has many benefits it offers to the home and office. Some of these benefits include;
- Lighting makes the room look more spacious, the specialists at Replica Lights have emphasized that proper lighting illuminates the dark areas in the room and gives it a spacious feel. Contrast and light colors are the best types of lighting to achieve a spacious feel.
- Lighting lifts the mood. Studies have shown that exposure to proper lighting sucks out negative energy and improves mood. Several studies have also proven that darkness adds to depression and causes decreased energy.
- Lighting shows off the amazing features of a room. With targeted lighting, you can show off that beautiful furniture or the nice paintings you have in your office or home. This helps to create a magnificent perspective of the room and drama for specific areas. It makes the overall view of the room beautiful.
- Proper lighting will help you to be productive. With appropriate lighting, you will feel energized and therefore can be more effective at work. Poor lighting can cause you to doze off or laze around because the atmosphere is not very encouraging.
Types Of Lighting
There are three basic types of lighting. Each class has a particular way it functions when applied in a room.
- Ambient lighting: Also known as general lighting, ambient lighting illuminates the room generally. They are a substitute for natural lighting because the lighting is flat and not partial to space. Some of the sources of light that give off the ambient lighting include; chandeliers, ceiling lighting, track, and pendants.
- Task lighting: This type of lighting is most suitable for an office because the light is more concentrated. As the name implies, it is fixed towards helping you get a good view of your tasks. They will help you have a clearer, detailed view of whatever you are working on. Examples of task lighting sources are pendants, swing arm lamps, under cabinets, and vanity.
- Accent lighting: This kind of lighting helps to draw attention to a particular spot in your room. It is the kind of light that helps to create a deeper perspective of a room. It is used for showing off artworks, collections, furniture, bookcase displays, and other delightful items. Accents lighting adds style and drama to your office or home. Examples of accent lighting sources include; Track, wall light, landscape, and recessed.
How To Choose The Best Lighting For Your Home Or Office
The first thing you should know is that more does not necessarily mean better when it comes to lighting. Sometimes, less works better. It also depends on the type of room too. Specific kinds of lighting fit different parts of the house. You need to study and understand how lighting works for different types of rooms;
- The Office: The two types of lighting that work for an office are ambient and task lighting. While you need light to distribute evenly across the office, you need targeted lighting in areas where activities often occur.
- The Bedroom: The bedroom is not a place for extreme activities. It needs warm lighting most of the time. And if there is a need to carry out tasks like reading, you can have a bedside lamp installed for that purpose. Also, ensure that there’s the option to dim or brighten the light so that you can get adequate lighting when needed too.
- The Living Room: The living room is a great place for relaxation and entertainment which means you will need both the bright and the not-so-bright light in there. When fixing the lighting, ensure that there is the option to brighten or dim the light in the room. This way, you’ll be able to switch the lights to fit the atmosphere and purpose.
- The Kitchen: A clear lighting is needed in the kitchen to oversee all kitchen activities. And for the areas where you need to perform specific tasks like cooking, the bar area, and washing dishes, you might want to use pendants to light up those areas.
- The Bathroom: You might want to use targeted lighting in some places, especially above the mirror, where the light can illuminate your face properly. Adequate lighting is needed in the bathroom.
Now that you know the types of lighting and which one works for each room do a lighting remodeling in your home and office to maximize the benefits of proper lighting. And if it is not clear to you how to go about it, contact lighting technicians who can put you through it.