If you have a pressing legal matter that needs to be resolved, then you need to find a lawyer quickly. Finding a lawyer isn’t always straightforward, however. Because of how difficult it can be, this article will tell you how you can find the right lawyer for your case:
Different Types of Lawyers in the United States
There are many different types of lawyers operating in the United States. Knowing what they all are should make it easier for you to decide which lawyer is right for you. Here are some of the main types of lawyers:
- Personal injury lawyers specialize in getting you compensation after you have been injured in an accident, like a car accident for example;
- Criminal lawyers will represent you if you have gotten in trouble with the police, they specialize in all areas of criminal law, including police station representation, bail, and arraignment;
- Bankruptcy lawyers are who you call if you are considering bankruptcy, or need advice on it; they will tell you which type of bankruptcy you can claim, and whether or not it is the right decision for you;
- Employment lawyers are used by companies experiencing difficulties with their employees, they are used to mediate disputes and take legal action against employees;
- Estate planning lawyers help people to write their wills, manage their trusts, and will take control of a person’s belongings after their death and distribute them according to the person’s will;
- Real estate lawyers can help with strategic estate planning and real estate transactions. If you ever sell your home, you’ll need a real estate lawyer;
- Corporate lawyers help people to form their own corporations and they advise business owners on compliance issues and corporate governance issues;
- Immigration lawyers help people to seek asylum, gain entry to a country, acquire a visa, and to be released from deportation centers.
If none of these lawyers can help you, then you may want to look into medical malpractice lawyers; tax lawyers; family lawyers; worker’s compensation lawyers; contract lawyers; social security lawyers; civil litigation lawyers, and general practice lawyers.
Where Can I Find the Right Lawyer?
If you have a friend, colleague, or relative that has experienced similar legal issues to you, then you can ask them for the name of the lawyer that they used to resolve their problems. Referrals are one of the best ways to find lawyers because your friends or relatives have no reason to lie to you and will give you an honest opinion. When you read reviews, you can never be sure whether or not they are biased or manipulated. If you hire a lawyer through a referral scheme, you may also be able to receive their services at a discounted price.
Your local bar association should offer a lawyer referral service, though they do not always screen for qualifications. The American Bar Association also has a database that offers advice, assistance, and pointers to people seeking legal help, which may be of use to you.
If you know a lawyer who is an expert in an area of law that is not useful to you, then you can ask them to recommend somebody else. A lawyer with whom you have a good relationship is unlikely to direct you toward an unprofessional, unhelpful lawyer who cannot benefit you. This is because it will reflect poorly upon them, and in law, one’s reputation is everything.
The internet is another good place to search for lawyers, though you should be careful of manipulated reviews like those we previously mentioned. There are tons of online internet directories that contain comprehensive lists of all active lawyers in the United States for you to look through. Also on the internet, according to the professional Manhattan real estate attorneys from CPL Law Firm, you can find answers to questions related to complex areas of the law. You can also read legal forums, chatrooms, and blogs which might be able to answer some of your questions.
If you are on a reduced income and cannot afford to pay for a lawyer, then you can contact your local legal aid service. Legal aid services are organizations that provide free legal assistance to people for non-criminal matters. You can also receive legal aid if you cannot afford a defense attorney and are being brought up on criminal charges. They are worth looking into and can be incredibly useful when you’re short on cash.
Finding a lawyer in times of difficulty when you have no previous legal experience can be an absolute nightmare. This page should hopefully have demystified the process for you and made it easier for you to find expert legal advice whenever you need it.