There are several reasons why you might want to quit drinking. Whatever the reason, this can be the best decision that you make in 2020. This article includes tips on creating a plan, taking care of yourself, and the resources to help you live a sober life. Remember that quitting alcohol can be dangerous for people with a severe problem with alcohol. The best thing here would be to speak to a doctor. These tips should not be a substitute for medical advice. Read on to discover how to stop drinking in 2020.
- Plan. Take time to research your options and come up with a plan that works for you. Some of the things to consider include; something to do when you feel the urge, who to call when you need support, and your coping strategies. Understand your drinking patterns and what triggers you to drink. Plan how you will avoid your triggers and practical strategies to distract yourself when alcohol appears. The more you understand yourself, the more you will know how to plan.
- Support Team. Quitting alcohol is much easier when you do it with like-minded friends or a coach. Support groups such as Alcoholism Anonymous are an excellent way to find a supportive community. A recovery coach can also help you to keep yourself on track. Ensure you tell your friends and family what you are doing and ask them for their support. If your close circle knows, they can help you avoid triggers.
- Medication. Unlike rehab, medication for alcohol is not widely known. However, they are an effective way to stop drinking. The Food and Drug Administration approves three medications for alcohol treatment: naltrexone, acamprosate, and disulfiram. Each of these drugs works differently, but they can help you overcome addiction. However, make sure you talk to a doctor before trying any medication.
- Cut your Drinking. Reducing your drinking makes it easier for you to stop drinking. Although moderation can be challenging to achieve, it can help reduce the severity of the withdrawal symptoms. Moderation is also an excellent way to achieve long term sobriety.
- Self-care Strategies. Everybody has unique self-care strategies. Some prefer scheduling long walks into their day while others repeat positive affirmation when they crave alcohol. Whichever works for you, make sure it helps you to stay balanced and mindful. Although you should expect good and bad days, planning and coping strategies can help you avoid alcohol.
- New Activities. Look for new activities to replace your drinking. You can hit the gym or focus on your hobby. Fill your schedule with things to do instead of visiting the bar. You will be surprised by the range of social activities you can do instead of drinking. As time goes by, you will naturally lead a more fulfilling alcohol-free life.
Quitting alcohol is a long and continuous process. However, it is not hard to stop drinking in 2020. Ensure you engage yourself with reading materials on how to stop drinking to find the best approach.