Trying foreign delicacies is always up there on the to-do list when taking a vacation abroad. But, did you know that you don’t have to wait until you can travel to try out most of these foods? A simple 30-minute or so recipe can have your taste buds travel across continents without leaving the comfort of your home.
Below are four of the easiest foreign recipes you can try tonight:
This Cuban cuisine is inspired by Spanish, African, Arab, and Portuguese cultures. It takes less than 30 minutes to prepare. It’s also one of the most budget-friendly international recipes on this list.
Here is what you need:
- 1 pound of lean beef
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- ½ chopped green pepper
- 8 minced garlic cloves
- 15 ounces of tomato sauce
- ¾ cups of white wine
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of ground cumin
- ⅓ cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 cubed potatoes
- ½ cup of green olives
- ½ of frying oil
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a large pan with your lean ground beef over high heat. Don’t add oil if you are using fat beef.
- Add onions, garlic, and green pepper to the pan and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Lower the heat and add bay leaves, cumin, wine, tomato sauce, pepper, and salt. Stir the mixture, cover the pan and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a separate pot, heat oil over medium and fry two batches of potatoes until they turn golden. It should take 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove the fried potatoes from the pot and put them on a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Pour the fried potatoes and raisins into the picadillo and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add your olives. Your Cuban comfort dish is now ready.
The Picadillo can be served with fried plantains and rice.
Caprese Orzo Risotto
You can relive that thrilling Italian vacation you had with this simple recipe of delicious orzo risotto. The chefs behind the recipe have the authority on everything kitchen related. Plus, it uses common kitchen essentials, not some fancy expensive items.
Here are the ingredients you need:
- 1 ½ cups of orzo
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 cup of tomato juice
- 1 cup of vegetable broth
- ½ cup of grated parmesan
- 1 chopped plum tomato
- ¾ cup of chopped basil
- 1 cup of pearl bocconcini
- 1 ¼ cups of water
- Heat a large pan over medium
- Add some oil to the pan, followed by your orzo and minced garlic
- After 1 minute of cooking, add the broth, tomato juice, and some water
- Cook the mixture for 10 to 14 minutes. Your orzo should absorb most of the liquid leaving behind a saucy risotto.
- Add parmesan and tomato and stir for a few moments, then remove your saucepan from the heat.
- Finally, mix the basil and pearl bocconcini before serving. Some people also stir chopped spinach for added nutrition.
Orzo risotto delivers a good share of carbohydrates, proteins, and fibers.
Greek Chicken Pasta
This recipe takes less than 20 minutes to prepare, and the meal itself is nothing short of splendid.
These are the ingredients you need:
- 1 pound of boneless chicken breast. Remove the skin and cut the breast into small pieces.
- ½ teaspoon of dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- ½ of your favorite pasta
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- ½ of a red onion sliced vertically
- ½ cup of pitted and halved kalamata olives
- 2 cups of halved grape tomatoes
- One lemon zest
- Stir pepper, salt, red pepper flakes, and oregano in a small bowl.
- Put your chicken in a large bowl and sprinkle the seasoning evenly, making sure each part of the chicken is well covered.
- Cook your pasta until it’s almost al dente, and then drain the remaining water. Save one cup of the pasta water.
- Heat oil in a big pan over medium.
- Add your chicken to the hot oil and let the pieces cook until they turn golden brown. Turn the pieces and make sure they’re evenly cooked, then remove them from the pan.
- Add your sliced garlic and onions to the pan and cook for around 2 minutes. Add a bit of pasta water or cooking oil in case the onions start burning.
- After cooking the onions for 2 minutes, pour the olives and tomatoes into the pan and let them cook for 2 more minutes.
- Transfer the drained pasta and the cooked chicken to the pan and turn off the heat. Add the lemon zest and oregano and mix well. Your meal is now ready!
The greek chicken pasta should be served hot. The meal delivers approximately 403 calories. It has good amounts of carbs, proteins, fibers, and some fat.
West African Peanut Chicken Soup
A classic West African soup that can be served alone or alongside noodles and rice.
Here’s the list of ingredients:
- ⅓ cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 pound of boneless chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons of curry powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ¼ cup of vegetable or peanut oil
- ¼ teaspoon of ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon of ground coriander
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1-inch fresh ginger
- 1 halved and seeded serrano chili pepper
- ¼ cup of peanut butter
- 5 cups of chicken broth or stock
- 4 tablespoons of chopped peanuts
- 3 chopped scallions
- 4 tablespoons of chopped cilantro (fresh)
- 1 lime cut into 4 pieces
- Slice your boneless skinless chicken into ¼ inch strips.
- Put the chicken in a bag together with curry powder, pepper, salt, and flour. Zip the bag and shake it properly.
- Add some oil in a pot and heat over medium for 1 minute.
- Take your pieces of chicken and drop them in the hot oil in a single layer. Cook each side for around 2 minutes.
- Add peanut butter to the pot and stir properly.
- Add the broth steadily while stirring the pot.
- Let the soup simmer for 10 minutes. Stir it occasionally and taste it for salt.
- Serve the thick soup in a bowl with a piece of lime, cilantro, scallions, and the chopped peanuts.
These international recipes take 30 minutes max to prepare, plus they provide vast serving options. Go ahead and give them a try today.