Think Cinco de Mayo or Taco Tuesday are the only celebrations filled with Mexican food favourites? Think again! Toss out your regular taco Tuesday recipes and say hello to Day of the Dead, and the wonderful food and celebrations that come with it.
Día de Los Muertos, or Day of the Dead, is one of the most lively and colourful celebrations in Mexico. Far from a sad or scary occasion, this holiday (which takes place between November 1st and 2nd) is a festive celebration of loved ones who have passed on … and as with any party, food and drink play a major role.
Dos Equis (brewed in Mexico since 1897) has partnered with Mexican-Canadian Chef Paula Zavala to help you plan your own Day of the Dead celebration by preparing some of the very best and auténtico recipes for your readers. These delicious are bites pair perfectly with the authentic taste of Mexico found in a refreshing Dos Equis.
- Looking for a modern take on a classic Mexican favourite? Try Ceviche De Coliflor (Cauliflower Ceviche).
- Need a savoury starter beyond your typical salsa and guacamole? Try making a spicy Choriqueso dip.
DOS EQUIS CHORIQUESO
- 1 Lb. Manchengo Cheese, shredded
- 1 Lb. Spanish Dried Chorizo
- 12 Small Flour tortillas
- 3 Tbsp Dos Equis beer
- 1 jar Salsa Macha (optional)
- Peel and thinly slice the chorizo. Heat up a medium cast iron pan, add the chorizo slices and cook until they release the grease. Remove the chorizo and leave the grease in the pan.
- Place the shredded cheese in the pan covering all the surfaces, add the chorizo on top and the beer. Cover the pan, lower the heat and wait until the cheese is melted, do not stir! Or place the pan into a 350F oven for 10 minutes.
- Warm up the tortillas and immediately serve the tacos with melted cheese.
- Optional, add some salsa macha on top.
CEVICHE DE COLIFLOR (CAULIFLOWER CEVICHE)
- 1 Cauliflower head, washed and florets finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 medium red onion finely chopped
- 100 gr fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 or 2 fresh jalapeño chilis chopped
- 1 carrot, shredded
- Juice of 4 limes
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Pinch of pepper
- 1 avocado
- Tortilla chips
- 1 medium bowl
- 1 large spoon
- 1 nice bowl for ceviche
- 1 nice bowl for tortilla chips
- Bowls for mise en place
- In a medium bowl combine the onion, jalapeno, lime juice, salt and olive oil, marinade for 5 minutes.
- Chop the cauliflower very finely and add to the bowl as well as the rest of the ingredients except the avocado. Chill for 10 minutes. Season to taste
- Have ceviche in a bowl topped with slices of avocado and spicy salsa. Served with a bowl of tortilla chips.