Do you only wear tights during formal occasions or cold days? If so, you’re missing out—big time.
You may not realize it, but tights are a fashion staple. They do so much more than merely make you look regal and elegant or keep your legs warm. With proper styling, tights can easily expand your wardrobe possibilities and help you create fashionable outfits regardless of the season. They also add a pop of color to any boring ensemble and do a fantastic job of covering up any leg imperfections you want to hide.
If you want to start experimenting with tights but aren’t used to wearing them, you may want to start with a few pairs in solid colors instead of patterned or printed ones. Plain sheer or opaque tights are easier to style and arguably less controversial. You can readily pair them with a variety of outfits, and they look fabulous all year long.
Ready to elevate your style game with plain tights? Read on for practical tips on how to rock a pair of these amazing bottoms with different kinds of outfits and shoes. You’ll also learn how to pull off wearing tights in various colors as well as how to choose a suitable pair or two.
How to Wear Tights with Different Kinds of Outfits
Expanding your wardrobe doesn’t always mean purchasing more clothing pieces. Sometimes, all you need is a bit of creativity to come up with a variety of looks using the clothes you already have in your closet. From dresses and skirts to shorts and pants, here are several ways you can wear tights with different outfits:
Dresses and Skirts
- Focus on the length. If you’re unsure what kind of dress to pair with tights, go for dresses that extend down to the edge of your fingertips for a fool-proof look. Finish your ensemble with matching accessories and shoes or boots.
- Consider what part of your outfit you want to spotlight. Perhaps you want your dress or skirt to stand out more than the tights you’re wearing. If that’s the case, opt for sheer tights as they offer lighter leg coverage, giving you a polished look that doesn’t attract too much attention. However, if you want your tights to make a fashion statement, choose an opaque pair in a color that matches the rest of your outfit’s palette.
- Create a monochromatic look. One of the easiest ways to wear tights with your favorite dress is by going for a monochromatic look. Put on a plain-colored outfit and wear tights and shoes in the same hue. Add contrasting accessories to give your ensemble a pop of color.
- Opt for thicker tights for short dresses and skirts. When wearing short dresses and skirts, your best bet is to match them with opaque or thicker tights for better coverage and to elongate your legs.
- Check the fabric. When choosing the right kind of tights, you should also check the material of the other garments you’re wearing. Dresses and skirts made with thicker and heavier fabrics go well with thicker tights. If you’re wearing something light and flowy, opt for sheer or semi-transparent pairs.
Shorts and Pants
- Go for shorts made of durable fabric. Try to pair your tights with shorts made of denim, leather, or another durable material. You can experiment with different colors of tights, too. If you’re not too confident in your color combination skills, you can never go wrong with pairing black or gray tights with your shorts.
- Pair tights with pants that show a little skin. Tights are great to pair with pants as they keep your legs extra warm during cold weather and add a bit of style and color. Be sure to wear them under ripped, cropped, or capri pants to make them more visible.
Rules to Remember When Wearing Colored Tights
Although nude tights are a safe choice, don’t be afraid to explore other colors that you don’t typically wear. Try a pair in pure black, or experiment with tights that come in bright hues. That said, colored tights can bring your style game to another level when you know how to use them correctly. Here are several rules to remember when wearing them:
- When in doubt, go for black. Black tights are your safest bet if you’re unsure of what color to wear. Whether sheer or opaque, black tights help create a seamless and classic look. This timeless color also goes well with any outfit and suits all types of occasions.
- Opt for neutral hues for professional environments. Unless you work in a creative industry, it’s best to pair your office attire with neutral-colored tights such as those that come in gray, brown, or maroon. Muted tones are also suitable options for professional environments.
- Match your white dress with any color you want. Elevate your plain white dress by wearing tights in colors that you love. If you want a classy look, opt for black, brown, deep green, and maroon. Are you going for a bold and perky vibe? Choose vibrant hues like cherry red, blue, fuchsia pink, and sunny yellow.
- Make sure that the color of your tights goes well with the rest of your outfit. Although it’s fun to experiment with tights in different colors, you should make sure that they match your clothes to create a flawless look. For instance, a navy blue dress will go well with black, brown, gray, forest green, and burgundy tights. You can also match your tights with your headband, scarf, or another accessory to appear more put-together.
- Never wear tights that clash with the color of your footwear. Ideally, your tights should suit the color scheme of your entire outfit. If that’s not possible, at least match the color of your shoes with your tights so that you’ll appear chic and coordinated.
- Pair bright-colored tights with neutral outfits. A useful rule of thumb when exploring tights in vivid colors is to wear them with a muted or neutral ensemble. This way, your tights will add just enough color to make you look ultra-stylish.
What Shoes Go Well with Plain Tights
As you may know, it’s not enough to know how to pair your tights with your tops, bottoms, or dresses. You also need to learn what type of shoes to wear with them to pull off the look you want. To give you some ideas, here are some of the best kinds of footwear that go well with tights:
- Black heels. For a sexy and elegant vibe, you can never go wrong with black heels and black tights. This combination goes well with practically every type of outfit. Wear them with a little black dress for a classic monochromatic look that makes you look slim and tall. You can also pair black heels with a pink mini-skirt and black fitted top.
- Flat shoes. Flat shoes go well with sheer tights. Pair them with a flowy dress for a casual or comfortable look that’s perfect for hanging out with friends or attending informal events.
- Black platform shoes. Create a funky vibe by wearing a black leather jacket, printed skirt, black tights, and a pair of black platform shoes.
- Red pumps. If you’re going to parties, concerts, and similar kinds of events, pair your black tights with your red pumps and wear a matching mini skirt for a bold and dramatic vibe.
- Black ankle boots. Make your legs appear longer and leaner by pairing a short dress or skirt with black opaque tights and matching ankle boots.
- Long boots. You can’t go wrong with plain tights and long boots. Wear them with an oversized sweater, and you have the perfect winter ensemble. Do you want to look edgy? Go for a black shirt tucked inside black leather shorts. Wear a bright pink blazer and finish the look with black tights and long black leather boots.
- Oxford shoes. Pairing tights with Oxfords is a great way of creating an assortment of outfit styles. Go for a preppy look by wearing a shirtdress with tights and a pair of Oxford shoes in the same color. For an ensemble that’s a bit classier, pair a green coat with a black midi dress, black tights, and Oxford shoes.
Wearing plain tights is a sure way to elevate your fashion game. Contrary to common misconceptions, they’re not only meant for little girls to wear. When you know how to use them properly, tights can add a pop of color to a boring outfit and allow you to express your unique personality and style.
Hopefully, the tips above will encourage you to experiment with plain tights more often. Try to step outside of your comfort zone and wear tights in hues you’ve never tried before, from classic colors like black and gray to more vibrant ones like pink and purple.
Published on Holr Magazine