Poor health affects productivity and education results. Research studies show that an average of 200 million school years is lost every year in most countries around the world due to ill health. Why do some students fail to prioritize their health? In general, students have a lot of things to do at any one time. They have to work on their assignments, attend all classes, and maintain a social life.
With all these things to do, college students feel like they don’t have enough time to keep up on their personal health until they get sick. Today, most colleges provide health care and physical activities for students to stay healthy and pass their exams.
Health has a major impact on your results and productivity. Without it, there’s nothing much you can do in college. Therefore, it’s important to prioritize health above all things. Here are a few simple tips that will help you stay healthy.
If you don’t pay attention to your diet, you might end up adding more weight, weakening your immunity, and increasing the chances of getting sick. Here are a few diet tips:
- Consume the right portion: You should avoid eating too much. Keep track of what you are eating from the moment you wake up. Eating too much reduces your energy, productivity, and results.
- Carry healthy snacks: It’s easy to eat healthy if you keep carrying your snacks. Such snacks will not only save your health but also money in the long run.
- Drink moderately: College students are known for their excessive partying. You can enjoy your time without having to drink alcohol or consume other drugs. If you have to drink, do it in moderation to avoid hurting your productivity and health.
- Drink water: Drinking enough water every day will keep you away from overeating and boost your concentration. Carry a water bottle around to avoid dehydration.
- Limit junk food: Junk food is easily accessible in college. Most students eat a lot while they are studying or running around. A little fast food won’t hurt. However, don’t make it a habit.
- Avoid skipping meals: As we said earlier, students have a lot of things to do at any one time. Some may forgo eating to attend all classes or complete their assignments. By reading free essays about health and carrying healthy snacks you’ll improve your health and productivity.
Finding time to exercise and stay active is not easy. However, it’s essential if you want to keep your body and mind healthy. Here are a few tips:
- Stretch: You can avoid exercise injuries by stretching every time you exercise. Simple stretches will keep you active and minimize pain.
- Bike: Instead of driving or taking the bus to class, consider biking. It will save you time while helping you exercise.
- Play: One of the best ways to exercise is by playing your favorite sport. Join a club or a team that will help you get active and have fun.
- Fitness courses: Most students can easily access fitness classes since they are paying for them through their tuition. Take advantage of these courses by getting a workout at least three times a week.
College students are known for sacrificing their sleep to prepare for exams or complete their assignments. Lack of enough sleep leads to poor concentration, irritability, and low immunity. Here are a few tips to help you get enough sleep:
- Take a nap: If you normally wake up early, it’s important to take a nap in the afternoon to boost your energy levels. Avoid sleeping too close to bedtime or for too long
- Avoid all-nighters: Studying all night will not boost your productivity and performance. It will affect your ability to concentrate and remember important concepts. Get enough sleep every day.
- Avoid caffeine before bed: Caffeine makes it harder for you to sleep especially when you consume it before bed. Limit the amount of food you eat and caffeine before going to bed.
Research studies have shown that healthy and active students learn and remember things faster than those who rarely move around. To improve your productivity and performance, you have to prioritize your health. Without health, there nothing much you can do in this world.
By following the simple tips that we’ve discussed, you won’t have to worry about your health in the years to come. Start by setting health goals. And then start your journey slowly. Don’t be too hard on yourself. Spend enough time with your family and friends.
Instead of partying hard and consuming drugs, think of other better ways to enjoy yourself such as meditating, playing your favorite sport, working out, or traveling. There are a lot of things you can do to improve the quality of your life. Now is the best time to try out new things and improve your health. Finally, don’t be afraid to ask for help.
Vendy Adams is a talented editor and writer. She is interested in health, business, technology, and education. She spends her leisure time reading books or walking her dog.