When someone is involved in a serious car accident in Tampa, FL, they need to be aware of their rights and the laws that govern those rights. This information will help injured victims be prepared to seek compensation for the injuries and damages they suffered.
What to Do When a Car Accident Occurs
Many people do not know what they should do after a car accident. Taking the right steps is essential for getting a fair outcome. Individuals need to take the following steps and get help finding a lawyer.
- One of the first things a car accident victim needs to know is to stay at the scene of the accident. It is against the law to leave the scene of an accident when injuries or damages have occurred. Leaving the scene of the accident can result in criminal charges.
- It is also wise for an injured victim to call the police. Filing a police report right away is essential. It is also important a person obtains a copy of the police report as soon as it becomes available.
- As soon as possible after the accident, individuals need to inform their insurance company of the accident. If a person has personal injury protection coverage, they can take advantage of that coverage because the state of Florida is a no-fault state.
- A person should also seek legal help for a car accident. Hiring a lawyer can make the process much easier for injured victims to go through.
Talk to a Lawyer
Talking to a lawyer is an essential step in the process of dealing with a car accident in the state of Florida. When injured victims meet with a lawyer, they learn more about Florida car accident laws and their rights as injured victims.
It is important to keep in mind that the statute of limitations in Florida is four years from the date of the accident. The statute of limitations limits the amount of time a person has to file a lawsuit. If a person waits beyond this time to file a claim, they could end up being unable to obtain compensation because their case would be thrown out of court.
Ways an Attorney Helps Injured Victims
Personal injury attorneys help their clients in multiple ways. Injured accident victims need to be aware of the ways an attorney can help them so they will be prepared to seek legal counsel.
- The attorney will assess the claim thoroughly and ensure it is a viable one that will stand up in court.
- Attorneys also handle all the communications with the insurance company.
- The attorney may offer recommendations for the medical needs of their clients.
- Attorneys offer sound legal guidance to help their clients make the right decisions.
- The attorney will estimate the case value so they can seek fair compensation.
- Attorneys also negotiate with the insurance companies involved in the case.
Never Go Through a Case Alone
Dealing with the steps involved in pursuing a lawsuit is never easy for injured victims. It is important a person does not go through the experience alone. Getting legal help is beneficial and will give a person great peace of mind.
Scheduling a consultation appointment will allow a person to get started on the process. Injured victims should not delay seeking legal help.