Kent Boyd is a dancer best known as a runner-up on season 7 of So You Think You Can Dance, but lately, Kent has gone on to work with some of the world’s biggest artists, and has even become a founding member of the TikTok creator page Pride House LA.
Kent Boyd has worked with artists like Billie Eilish, Dua Lipa and Vanessa Hudgens he also choreographed alongside Taylor Swift for the Billboard Music Awards. His TikTok Pride House LA was the page that JoJo Siwa came out on, and has since been a platform that advocates for the LGBTQ+ community. HOLR had the opportunity to chat with Kent about his dancing and his involvement with Pride House LA.
1. Following your success on So You Think You Can Dance, what has made you want to keep dancing and what can you say is something that motivates you the most?
I think what has kept me dancing since SYTYCD is the way dancing makes me feel. I honestly love moving my body, especially with other people. Good music motivates me the most, where I can connect to good sounds, atmosphere, and meter. That’s what keeps me wanting to dance.
2. Where has your passion for dance come from, and how long have you been dancing?
Well, I think the passion started from having a lot of energy and bouncing off the walls, making my mom really frustrated. She found that sports weren’t enough and that I needed something more physical and thought-provoking. Dance was what she found that grabbed my attention and held it, and I’ve been dancing since. I have now been dancing for 20+ years!
3. Having worked with some of the biggest names in the industry, who can you say has been your favourite artist to work with, and who have you dreamed of working with, if you haven’t already?
Oh my gosh—my dream artist to work with right now is Remi Wolf. I love her style, and her music is trippy and fun, which is so easy to dance to! One of my favourite artists that I’ve worked with has to be the iconic Vanessa Hudgens because we instantly clicked— she’s beyond talented, strong, and so genuine.
4. As a member of PrideHouseLA what can you say has been the most rewarding experience when starting this LGBTQ+ TIKTOK content house?
Helping people eliminate their fear and doubts about themselves and their relationships with others. We love that we get to educate people about our community! We’re here, we’re queer, and we’re not going anywhere.
5. What plans do you have for the content house, and how do you hope the content is shared and received on TikTok and with your new podcast?
I sometimes see #PrideHouseLA like a music label! We bring in different artists, we collaborate, connect, inspire, and then we give them the energy to go out in the world and destroy! I’m excited to see where our influence will take us. Next up, Pridehouse is about to leave for Mexico! And we all know Pridehouse loves a beach moment.
6. As a member of TikTok and someone who has danced with some of the world’s biggest artists, what TikTok challenge or dance has been your favourite?
Ooooh, great question. I miss the Backyardigans! DO NOT sleep on them, they have some major bangers! My slogan for 2022 is “Into the thick of it.”
Article published by HOLR Magazine