Using natural products on your hair isn’t just a trend; it’s a necessary step toward maintaining the health of your hair and the planet. With so many hair care products on the market containing harmful chemicals, it’s essential to be mindful of the products you use. That’s where Under Luna comes in, a brand dedicated to making 100% natural hair care products that nourish and protect your hair, while also being eco-friendly and socially responsible. As a manifestation of its values, Under Luna uses sustainably grown or made, ethically sourced, and 100% natural ingredients in every bottle.
“All our herbal extracts are made in house and go through their own process of extraction. Our process in making these products do take time. Herbal extracts can sit for at least 6 weeks before they are ready to be strained and then used to make the final product. We then bottle, label and fulfill all orders here at our Portland headquarters. A great deal of time and love goes into every single bottle.” -Carly, CEO + Founder
Under Luna’s sustainability efforts are also worth mentioning. The brand is committed to protecting the planet through small-batch and zero-waste production methods and sustainable packaging. As a woman-founded family business with only two owners and two employees, they keep their footprint small while still providing high-quality natural hair care products. “We are sticklers about our ingredients. The foraging and sourcing of our herbs all come from either local sources where we know them personally or from reputable US suppliers that also have similar values and transparency.” – Carly, CEO + Founder. By investing in Under Luna’s products, you’re not only investing in your health but also contributing to the protection of the planet.
When switching to truly natural haircare products, it’s important to note that your hair might go through a detox phase. This is because the scalp holds onto residual films, build-up, and ingredients from previous products that can cause congestion and trap oils, leading to scalp issues and an over-oily scalp with dry ends. During the detox period, which looks different for everyone, there may be symptoms such as overproduction of oils or dryness, tangles, and flakiness on the scalp as it purges and gets rid of the irritating build-up. The scalp is smart and needs time to adjust to the new natural products, and everyone adjusts differently to a cleanse. To help during this period, Under Luna recommends trying an Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse and always double-washing when shampooing. You can also check out Under Luna’s journal for more information on this detox process and a wide range of information on all things hair and scalp health.
Over one month, I tried the following three products from Under Luna to give my hair time to adjust, so I could share an honest opinion.
The first product was the Ancient Remedy Hair + Scalp Oil, which is a silky serum containing healing, hydrating, revitalizing, and strengthening herbs such as saw palmetto berries, organic yarrow flowers, and golden jojoba oil. It can be used as a scalp treatment, heat protectant, and frizz tamer.
Benefits of the ingredients:
• Saw Palmetto Berries: These are commonly used to heal hair loss and a scaly scalp or dandruff. They are a key ingredient for strong and beautiful hair.
• Organic Yarrow Flowers: These flowers are antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory, which can help soothe and calm the scalp. They can also help promote healthy hair growth.
• Organic Golden Jojoba Oil: This oil is a great natural moisturizer that can help restore moisture to dry and damaged hair. It is also known to help stimulate hair growth, making it a valuable ingredient in hair care products.
I also tried the Tulsi Bloom Shampoo and Conditioner, a collaboration between Under Luna and Wildcare, another company that is transparent about the ingredients in their products. The Tulsi Bloom Shampoo and Conditioner are formulated with mineral-rich ingredients that nourish and replenish vital nutrients to the hair and scalp. The shampoo and conditioner contain rosemary bay hydrosol, tulsi leaf and flower, horsetail, and nettle leaf, providing the hair with additional nourishment and strength.
Benefits of the ingredients:
- Tulsi Leaf + Flowers: Sourced from Wildcare’s gardens in Portland Oregon, this magical herb has antibacterial and antifungal properties that work wonders on a dry, itchy scalp. Say goodbye to dandruff and hello to healthy hair!
- Nettle Leaf: This common weed may be underestimated, but it’s a powerhouse of minerals and antioxidants. Wildcare handpicks their Nettle leaves in Portland, Oregon, and uses them to reduce inflammation on the scalp, which keeps hair follicles clear and stimulates new growth. Plus, it’s great for pain relief and boosting iron levels – a true all-rounder!
- Rosemary + Bay Hydrosol: These two botanicals are distilled by Wildcare and make a dynamic duo for healthy hair. Rosemary’s ursolic acid promotes oxygen and nutrient delivery to the hair follicles, encouraging new growth and adding softness and shine. Meanwhile, Bay stimulates collagen, providing elasticity to each hair and preventing breakage. Both Rosemary and Bay are antimicrobial, which means they keep dandruff and irritation at bay.
- Horsetail: Wildcare forages this wetland-loving plant in the Pacific Northwest, where it’s said to grow with the highest silica content in the plant kingdom. Horsetail contains selenium and cysteine, which rapidly stimulate hair growth and protect strands from the inside out. By improving circulation, horsetail keeps hair follicles clear and promotes healthy, strengthened hair. And let’s not forget – Wildcare mindfully harvests its horsetail to ensure sustainability and a minimal environmental impact.
An honest review of Under Luna:
When I started using Under Luna’s products, I continued with my regular wash routine every two days. I’ll admit that during one of my washes, I didn’t double cleanse and noticed my hair became a lot oilier. As Under Luna explains in their journal, the first wash is meant to remove dirt, and your hair won’t lather as much because the shampoo is clinging to the dirt. The second wash is where you get the lather and allow the ingredients to work their magic on your scalp.
One of my main concerns was dandruff, which I developed after moving to a new city with hard water and harsh chemicals. Despite using a shower filter, I couldn’t completely get rid of the dandruff. I was thrilled to try Under Luna’s products after reading all the rave reviews about them, especially regarding clearing up dandruff in just a week or so. And the reviews were right! While I knew dandruff wouldn’t disappear immediately, I continued using only Under Luna products. I washed every other day with the Tulsi Shampoo and Conditioner and used the Ancient Remedy Hair + Scalp Oil on my scalp twice a week. Within a week, I noticed a significant decrease in my dandruff, and it kept getting better until week 3 when I could safely say that my dandruff had completely cleared up!
I’m always skeptical when products claim to help with hair growth. However, the clean ingredients had me excited to try Under Luna’s Tulsi Bloom shampoo and conditioner, which is specifically recommended for post-partum hair loss. After having a rough case of COVID about a year ago, I’ve still been dealing with bouts of aggressive shedding, which caused the sides of my hair to thin. I couldn’t believe the results I saw after using Tulsi Bloom for just one month. So many new baby hairs started growing in (the above pictures show day 1 vs 30), and I can’t wait to continue using it and share my update in another month!
Softer Hair and More Volume
I’ve always had naturally fine but soft hair, but my first immediate impression after using Under Luna’s products was how soft and healthy my hair felt – more so than normal. The only way to describe it is that it just felt really clean like nothing was stuck to it or weighing it down. This naturally made my hair look and feel more voluminous after each wash, something I’ve always found really difficult to achieve.
I highly recommend checking out Under Luna’s website and trying their natural hair care products. Making the switch to natural ingredients can make a significant difference in the health of your hair and scalp.