An online poll suggests fewer than half of Canadians will open their doors to trick-or-treaters due to COVID-19.
Many parents are planning to let their children go trick-or-treating this year — but a new poll suggests they may find fewer doors open than in pre-pandemic Halloweens.
According to a new survey by Leger and the Association for Canadian Studies, about 93% of respondents whose kids trick-or-treated last year intend to have them go candy hunting again this Sunday. But the survey also suggests that not many houses will open their door to trick-or-treaters.
Of the 56% who checked no, half said they would typically dole out candy on Halloween but will not this time “given the current pandemic.”
Leger executive vice-president Christian Bourque says some parents who kept their kids at home last year may allow them to hit the pavement on Oct. 31, given the high vaccination rates now versus the absence of vaccines a year ago.
Either way, the poll figures suggest they’ll face a few more darkened doorways.
Many Canadians also trick or treat in condo and apartment buildings, where open-air interactions are not an option.
Of the 447 respondents who had children of trick-or-treat age, 252 let them costume up and go porch to porch last year, with the vast majority of those planning the same for Sunday.
Trick-Or-Treating With Caution
According to Raywat Deonandan, University of Ottawa epidemiologist, taking part in the annual outdoor tradition is a fairly low-risk activity that can be done without too much worry.
“Go trick-or-treating, be outside, go door-to-door. Minimize your contact. Don’t get close to people,” said Deonandan. “Say hi and move on.”
Dr. Kieran Moore, Ontario’s medical officer of health, has said that while trick-or-treating is permissible, it should take place outdoors as much as possible, recommending parents ensure children take turns and keep interactions brief while going door-to-door.
Published by HOLR Magazine