With Halloween fast approaching, we bring you our favourite Halloween DIYs. From costume makeup to props, snacks and appetizers, these ideas are sure to inspire creativity this spooky season.
Demonic – Eat your heart out… Oops, looks like I already did
- Black Face Paint
- Black Mascara
- Black Eyeliner
- White Face Paint
- Spray on Fake Blood
- Optional: Fake Heart
- Prep your skin with a light moisturizer.
- Cover your entire face with white face paint.
- Draw an exaggerated wing with black eyeliner—this will serve as your guide for the dramatic eye look achieved with black face paint. Also, line your waterline with black eyeliner, smudging all the way around the eyes. Put your favourite volumous mascara on.
- Brush the lids of your eyes with black face paint, extending just above the outer crease.
- Mix a dash of water with the black face paint on a mixing tray and using a Q-tip, run it under your eyes along the lower lash line. Add another dash of water and using the same Q-tip, hold it down, letting the black paint drip down your cheeks like a tear.
- Using the fake blood, first dab it around your temples, jawline, hairline, and under the cheekbones. Paint it on your neck, shoulders and chest, paying close attention to your collarbones.
- Using the spray bottle, spay the blood overtop of where the fake blood is already, incorporating it lightly over your forehead and other areas of the face as you see fit.
- Cover your lips with black face paint. Using the same teardrop method, leave a trail of black liquid dripping from your mouth.
- White Face & Body Paint
- Dramatic Makeup (Concealer, Foundation, Eye Liner, Mascara, Eye Shadow, Brow Pencil)
- Paint Brush
- Apply favourite dramatic makeup look (can do one eye or both—as seen in James Charles’ version, which you can watch here).
- Remove any makeup where white will be painted on
- Paint on the white face paint everywhere but where you want your paint stroke to be.
Skeleton – How I Look vs. How I Feel
- White Face Paint
- Black Face Paint
- Black Eyeshadow
- Assorted Makeup Brushes (including: an eyeliner or other thin tipped brush for finer details; a concealer, foundation or larger brush for large section application; an eyeshadow or contour brush to add dimension)
- Regular Makeup (for “normal” side)
Tutorial I followed: Roxxxsaurus‘s Easy Half Skull Makeup Tutorial.
- Dark eye makeup
- Liquid Black Lash Glue
- Start with your base makeup.
- Using dark purples, browns, and black eye shadows, begin layering all over your eyelids (no rhyme or reason really, just layers on layers). Eye Shadow
- Using a dark bronze colour, blend from your crease to your brows, using highlighter along your brow bone.
- Use black pencil eyeliner to outline your upper waterline, lower waterline, upper lash line and lower lash line.
- Apply black mascara.
- Apply lip gloss. Using the same dark eye shadow you used on your eyes, dab onto your lips.
- Define, contour, and hollow out your cheekbones with your favourite dark bronzer.
- Use black liquid liner along your lower lash line, not worrying if it’s a little messy as it will be mostly covered by the black tears. You will want to make this line thick, covering almost completely your lower lids so that when you apply your tears they don’t come up too close to your actual eyes.
- Using KISS liquid black lash glue, begin dripping the glue just below your outer v slowly working your way inward, creating tear lines as the globs of glue drip down along your face (move your face accordingly to ensure your tears fall in the desired path). For a less thick look, you can also use the black face paint tear method from the demonic look above.
- For the Ouija Board, you may need to recruit someone for help. On your shoulders, draw the sun on one side and the moon on the other. Along your collarbone, write OUIJA. On your chest, write the alphabet and the numbers below. If you can fit it in, GOODBYE should be written under that (I however could not fit this in).
- On the palms of your hands, write YES on one and NO on the other. *Optional
PROPS & DECOR:
Candle Magic Potion Jars
- Long candlesticks
- Printer & Paper
- Halloween knick knacks for decoration purposes
- Bottles (wine, beer, etc)
Tutorial available via Crafty In Crosby.
What you’ll need:
- Printer & Paper
- Paint, markers, tea bag (optional)
- Print off Tarot Cards — free from Dark Tarot.
- Print off the back of the cards design on card stock.
- Cut out the Tarot Cards and backing. Glue the two pieces together.
- Colour them in *Optional
- To make them look aged, dab a damp black tea bag on them, paying closer attention to sides. Let them dry. *Optional
SNACKS & APPS:
Skull Pizza Pockets
- Skull Baking Pan
- nonstick cooking spray, for pan pizza dough
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 3⁄4 cup pizza sauce, plus more warmed for dipping
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 18 slices pepperoni
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- italian parsley sprig (to garnish) *Optional
For the tutorial, try Food’s recipe.
Jalapeño Popper Mummies
- 10 jalapeño peppers, sliced in half lengthwise and pith/ seeds removed (use rubber gloves so your hands don’t burn from the jalapeño). Leave the stem if you can on some or all of the halves.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 8 ounces jack cheese, shredded
- 1 scallion (green onion), finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package refrigerated crescent rolls (Pillsbury)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- candy eyeballs (can be purchased at Michael’s or on Amazon)
For the tutorial, try The Hopeless Housewife’s recipe.