In 5 years, a lot has changed.
If you didn’t already know, StockX is “a marketplace for current culture products”, where buyers bid on everything from their favourite Yeezys and Jordans to the hottest Supreme goods. Last November, StockX officially launched on the ground here in Canada and opened its very first Canadian authentication centre in Toronto, which is a huge moment for the Canadian sneaker community.
This February also marks an exciting moment for the brand because StockX just hit its 5-year milestone. To celebrate, their experts have looked back to uncover some eye-opening trends about how the industry has evolved.
The StockX Big Facts report looks back on how the sneaker market has grown over the years. These highlights and key trends are the defining dynamics that drove- and continue to drive- the StockX marketplace:
Female footwear – The female footwear market has exploded over the last few years
- Every four hours StockX sells as many women’s sneakers as they did in all of 2016
- Total men’s sneaker sales still exceed women’s sneaker sales on the site but women’s sneakers have grown at a much faster rate, rising 1500x since 2016
Model behaviour – Between 2016 and 2020, the number of Nike Dunks in the top 1,000 sneakers rose 25x while the number of LeBron’s fell 60%
What happened to Yeezys –In a matter of 5 years the Yeezy brand went from impossible to accessible, with the average resale price of the Yeezy 350 having fallen by nearly 50% since 2016
Timeless taste – For 5 years running, the Jordan 1’s continue to be the top-performing sneaker on StockX
Verified authentic – Even counterfeits are trending, so what were some of the most found fakes 5 years ago vs. today? Check out the stats below:
- In 2016 the most attempted fakes were:
- adidas Yeezy Boost 350 V2 Beluga
- Jordan 1 Retro Bred “Banned” (2016)
- Jordan 11 Retro Space Jam (2016)
- In 2020 the most attempted fakes were:
- Jordan 1 Retro High Off-White Chicago
- Jordan 1 Retro High Travis Scott
- Jordan 4 Retro Off-White Sail (Women’s Exclusive)
If you’re interested in learning more about StockX and the latest sneaker trends, visit the website here and check out the report.