Johnny Depp’s motion to dismiss ex-wife, Amber Heard’s counterclaim was denied. In this article we will explore testimony from witnesses that brought the judge to her decision.
In case you aren’t up to date on the trial, let’s catch you up on some key details…
Depp is suing Heard for $50 million because of a 2018 Washington Post op-ed where she opens-up about being a survivor of domestic abuse. Although Heard didn’t name Depp in the op-ed, his lawyers claim that she has hinted at her abuser being Depp. Depp’s legal team believes that this essay damaged both his career and reputation.
This is when Heard filed her $100 million counterclaim. She claims that Depp’s lawyer, Adam Waldman, vilified Heard thus impacting her acting career when he alleged that she was lying about being abused.
Judge Penney Azcarate denied Depp’s bid to dismiss the counterclaim. Stating that, “it is not my role to measure the veracity or weight of the evidence,” and that the decision should be made by the jury.
Amber Heard’s witness testimonies
- Whitney Henriquez, Heard’s sister claims she witnessed Depp hitting Heard ‘repeatedly’ in the face
- Former friends of Heard say they worried about her safety, stating that Depp was unpredictable
- Heard’s makeup artist allegedly covered noticeable injuries before her 2016 appearance on The Late Late Show With James Corden
- American actress, Ellen Barkin alleged that Depp threw a wine bottle near her while filming the 1998 film Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
- Jessica Kovacevic, Heard’s talent agent, says that the actress didn’t achieve the success that tends to follow starring in a superhero film such as Aquaman
- Kathryn Arnold, an entertainment industry consultant claims that because of the “smear campaign” on Depp’s end, Heard’s career suffered
Johnny Depp’s witness testimonies
- Kate Moss denies the rumors that Depp pushed her down the stairs while on vacation in Jamaica. She claims that he helped take her to her room and got her medical attention
- Walter Hamada, president of DC Films Production, says that Depp didn’t have any influence on Heard’s contract and role in Aquaman 2
- Allegedly Heard’s role was lessened because of the lack of chemistry between her and co-star Jason Momoa
- Depp himself testified as a rebuttal witness to deny the allegations again. He claims that Heard hit him on their honeymoon which resulted in him having a black eye
- “When you’re accused of horrific acts and things that you have not done … [we] have a tendency, as humans to get very, very irate, and angry … not to the point where you go out and hurt someone … but you do get irate, you do wonder why this person is doing this to me.”
We wait! Closing arguments will take place this Friday, May 27. Both Depp and Heard’s attorneys will recap the evidence in hopes of persuading the jury one final time. Once the lawyers give their closing arguments, the jury will deliberate. Soon, the verdict of this case will be in the hands of the jurors.
Published by HOLR Magazine.